Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

           

123 Street Avenue, City Town, 99999

(123) 555-6789

email@address.com

 

You can set your address, phone number, email and site description in the settings tab.
Link to read me page with more information.

History

History of the park

Designed by Joseph Paxton, the Great Exhibition building was 1,851 feet (564 m) long, with an interior height of 128 feet (39 m).

After the exhibition, the building was moved to a new park in a high, healthy and affluent area of London called Sydenham Hill, then a well-heeled suburb full of large villas. The Crystal Palace was enlarged and stood in the area from 1854 to 1936, when it was destroyed by fire. The blaze could be seen from the park.

Next to the pool water play area, there was a small hut, this was burned out and left a shell in the 1960s.

But in the past it was the old bus station, with coach and horses, bringing people to the park to enjoy the pool.

Keepers swept up the leaves with old witches brooms and would then burn them in piles.

Views in the 1970s AND 1990s

By the passage way that now leads to Bentons Rise, and Norwood Park Road, was the park keepers garage, where they kept the old type farm tractors, that where used for grass cutting and pulled a large lawn mower behind them.

The passage could be closed at night with a thick wooden door which had gone by the late 1970s.

The white and red hut was originally the park shop. it sold ice creams and sweets and drinks. In the 1970s but by the 1990 it was used as a changing room for the football players. The Capital Radio show bus visited here in the 1970s.

The Cafe:

Salters Hill near the play ground is now now home to the The Hungry Hippo cafe.

However, it was not always the little Cafe in Norwood Park it used to house the public toilets and baby changing facilities.

Drinking fountains in the 1970s were high for children to reach and we had to kind of jump up and push down the bottom to keep the water on then drink from it. They had a small water tray at the bottom for the dogs to drink from.

In the late 1960s there were cottages still in the park along the Elder Road edge where The Park pub is. This one was in the park near Salters Hill side of the park had a large house in the park.

During the 'winter seasons' people slid down that hill and in the skateboarding craze a small wall supposed to be for skateboarding at the botton of the park as you come in from the railway bridge on Salters Hill.

The Great Storm of 1987 occurred on the night of 15/16 October 1987, when an unusually strong weather system caused winds to hit much of southern England and northern France. It was the worst storm to hit England since the Great Storm of 1703.

 

-------

It must be before 1936 looking south east over behind where there was a wood yard in what is now the Kingston Square houses, to the old Crystal Palace exhibition which was visible then.

The Crystal Palace exhibition was a cast-iron and glass building originally erected in Hyde Park, London, to house the Great Exhibition of 1851.

More than 14,000 exhibitors from around the world gathered in the Palace's 990,000 square feet (92,000 m2) of exhibition space to display examples of the latest technology developed in the Industrial Revolution.

Designed by Joseph Paxton, the Great Exhibition building was 1,851 feet (564 m) long, with an interior height of 128 feet (39 m).

After the exhibition, the building was moved to a new park in a high, healthy and affluent area of London called Sydenham Hill, then a well-heeled suburb full of large villas. The Crystal Palace was enlarged and stood in the area from 1854 to 1936, when it was destroyed by fire. The blaze could be seen from the park.

Next to the pool water play area, there was a small hut, this was burned out and left a shell in the 1960s.

But in the past it was the old bus station, with coach and horses, bringing people to the park to enjoy the pool.

The park keepers office, was in front of the pool where there were also public toilets.

The park keepers had brown uniforms up until the 1970s but by the 1990s, they were blue, if they had them at all.

The park keepers would warn park users of muddy bogs and quick mud.

Keepers swept up the leaves with old witches brooms and would then burn them in piles.

Kingswood School had a park class the roof of which can be seen here. There was a Wendy house a small slide and sand pit which was for the infants at Kingswood primary. It is now part of the Park's home growing project.

By the passage way that now leads to Bentons Rise, and Norwood Park Road, was the park keepers garage, where they kept the old type farm tractors, that where used for grass cutting and pulled a large lawn mower behind them.

The passage could be closed at night with a thick wooden door which had gone by the late 1970s.

The white and red hut was originally the park shop. it sold ice creams and sweets and drinks. In the 1970s but by the 1990 it was used as a changing room for the football players. The Capital Radio show bus visited here in the 1970s.

Salters Hill near the play ground is now home to The Hungry Hippo cafe.

However, it was not always the little Cafe in Norwood Park it used to house the public toilets and baby changing facilities.

The play ground had a wardens office with staff to who watch over the children and help the little ones as well as administering first aid in case of an accident.

The views looking over London have changed in the old photos but you can still see the local land marks.

In the later ones the London sky line has considerably change with more tower blocks.

The loss of the Elm Trees in 1970s to Dutch Elm Beetle meant that our Elm Trees were eaten alive by a beetle that lived under the trees bark killing the trees.

They were cut down and left lying there for a long time and one of then became part of a wooden play area which was built using a lot of wooden planks carelessly nailed onto it and old tree stumps!

Litter bins in the 1970s were large green heavy metal buckets but later small cages that were not a lot of use as match sticks and lolly sticks just fell through the baskets!

Drinking fountains in the 1970s were high for children to reach and we had to kind of jump up and push down the bottom to keep the water on then drink from it. They had a small water tray at the bottom for the dogs to drink from.

The white building in the back ground was a Punch and Judy stage up until the 1970s there was a large theatre stage where Punch and Judy shows and magicians entertained the children making animals out of balloons.

I was awarded a book the Jack and the Bean Stalk for singing Humpty Dumpy in a talent show. There were also plays and concerts.

In the late 1960s there were cottages still in the park along the Elder Road edge where The Park pub is. This one was in the park near Salters Hill side of the park had a large house in the park.

During the 'winter seasons' people slid down that hill and in the skateboarding craze a small wall supposed to be for skateboarding at the bottom of the park as you come in from the railway bridge on Salters Hill.

The Great Storm of 1987 occurred on the night of 15/16 October 1987, when an unusually strong weather system caused winds to hit much of southern England and northern France. It was the worst storm to hit England since the Great Storm of 1703.